Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Top 10 hip hop albums 2005

Well I have arrived after all. I am here to express my undying love to the culture that we know and love as hip-hop. I won’t be long windedin this intro. There will be plenty of reasons for you to send me hate mail in the near future; I know not many will agree with my opinions. Nonetheless, let me give your prejudice something to feel. I present the top hip-hop albums of the year 2005.

Top 10 hip hop albums 2005

Common- Be

If I had only one word to describe this offering by Common, it would be complete. Common takes us on a spiritual enlightening through the eyes of a city dweller by painting a picture that is rich with imagery reminiscent of James Baldwin or Richard Wright. Not only that, he also works with some of the premiere producers that accentuate his sound like a handshake, instead of playing paper- scissors rock with the lyricist. There is not a lot of filler, just good music. It has been a long time coming for common and he has finally arrived, just like me.




Notorious B.I.G.- Duets

There was obviously plenty of effort into making the official last release from the legend we know of as Biggie. I was not left disappointed, as everyone who participated brought their A games to the table and made the late great Frank White sound as refreshing as…. Well as he sounded on that fabulous mash up of him and Frank Sinatra.




Kanye West- Late Registration

Kanye speaks to me like no other artist. I secretly am Kanye. I dropped out of college. I registered at a later date. He really steals outfits from my closet (anger). I always relied on making my own beats to my own music… Also like me, his views are not always popular and sometimes show the inner conflict of man. The only real difference between us two is he is extremely arrogant, with a lucrative record contract, and the ear of America. Well at least you are listening to me.


Lil Kim- The Naked Truth

Prejudiced marred the release of this album as well as her dwindling, non-music related persona. No one in his or her right minds thought that lil Kim was capable of putting out a classic album. I am not sure whether the album is classic, but it was definitely better than most releases of the year. Aside from very weak interludes, the album provided a deeper look into the mind and relationships of lil Kim; a look that went well beyond the capacity of her vagina.


DJ Quik- Trauma

One of the most under appreciated talents from the west, DJ Quik has always provided edgy tracks as backdrops for many an up and coming emcee. His rhyme flow has upgraded fabulously, to include wit and substance that extend beyond gangster pimp braggadocio. In fact, his music is what gangsta rap should have aspired to, but didn't.




Juvenile - Reality Check

The best product ever to evolve from the Cash Money Family, Juvenile has dropped an album worthy to fit into the regular rotation of my Cadillac. Hell, he almost made me trade in my caddy for a heavy Chevy a couple of times as he kept my trunk rattling.




Black Rob- The Rob Report

Black Rob hasn’t lost a step during his extended hiatus at all; in fact his skills have increased to keep him atop the heap. He still has the ability to craft a gritty story into a crafty rhyme. The production is stellar. This is definitely head nod music.




Blackalicious - The Craft

I won’t even say anything about this album except it is exceptional. Anything else would spoil the surprise. Okay, I will say it is unlike most available hip hop offerings… it is the “real” hip hop album that was too intelligent for BET’s audience…





Talib Kweli - Right About Now: The Official Sucka Free CD

Talib Kweli has always excelled at wordplay and metaphorical skills as well as the ability to bless a track with presence. What he has that other wordsmiths don’t have is the ability to apply metamorphosis to change his metaphors into music. He is a true alchemist.





Missy Elliot- The Cookbook

On this album, M. Elliot combines various flavors. Old school, Crunk, R&B, Call-And Response, Pac- Jam, Go-Go, easily blend together into a style that is characteristically Missy Elliot. Missy doesn’t really play by the rules, and is often overlooked in the realm of the female emcee, but I recognize her contribution and I am pleased.



All of these joints are available at Amazon.com... not the bootleg bodega!

BlackCaesar!

/body>